Energy and offshore
WSCO is a leading Danish law firm within the energy and offshore sectors, including offshore wind, geothermal and other renewables, CO2 capture and storage (CCS), oil and natural gas, infrastructure and the related offshore and maritime businesses.
Since 2010 the firm’s attorneys have assisted in connection with a large number of transactions, including some of Denmark’s largest offshore wind parks and contracts regarding oil drilling services in the North Sea.
Furthermore, our attorneys have extensive experience in regulatory affairs, including the Act on Renewable Energy, the Danish Subsoil Act, the Offshore Safety Act, and other acts.
The firm’s clients are developers of offshore wind parks, geothermal and district heating companies, oil and gas companies as well as suppliers and contractors in the energy and offshore sectors.
Our clients include some of the largest enterprises in the energy and offshore sectors, but we have also carried out work for the Danish Energy Agency and Energinet, the Danish TSO.
WSCO is a leading firm within offshore wind energy.
Since 2010 the firm’s attorneys have assisted operators and developers on some of Denmark’s largest offshore wind parks and projects, including as main counsel for Energinet.dk. The firm has built up special expertise in legal issues pertaining to offshore substations, inter-array cables and construction, delivery and installation of processing equipment for offshore wind farms. Work includes:
- Negotiation and drafting of project, operation and management agreements
- Financing arrangements
- Health, safety and environment
- IPR, IT and technology
- Risk management and insurance
- Regulatory affairs, including pre-investigations, the Act on Renewable Energy, including special loss of value and purchase option schemes, environmental impact assessments, etc.
- In addition to providing service to operators and developers, WSCO is one of the preferred law firms among small, medium-sized and large contractors, suppliers and service firms in the offshore wind industry in Denmark, Germany, UK, Belgium and France.
The firm’s attorneys are also in demand for speaking engagements and as workshop facilitators in legal matters relating to offshore wind, e.g. for Esbjerg Business Development and other trade organizations.
Geothermal, Power-to-X and Other Renewables
WSCO provides legal and commercial assistance to firms in the geothermal energy sector and other players within renewables, including power-to-x and energy islands.
The firm’s attorneys have assisted in connection with the planning of several geothermal projects in Denmark, offering advice on both transactions and regulatory affairs.
Furthermore we have assisted the Danish Energy Agency in two instances, firstly by preparing a report on the possibilities for risk mitigation in geothermal drilling, and secondly by preparing a legislative proposal for a geothermal insurance scheme and best practices in the geothermal energy sector.
The firm’s lawyers are furthermore active within power-to-x providing specialist advice in regulatory affairs as well as corporate/commercial and contracts. WSCO is also a trusted advisor for companies that are developing and establishing energy islands in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.
Within other renewable energy, the firm has provided legal counseling to wave energy operators, including as a legal consultant in connection with Denmark’s first national strategy for wave energy. Further the firm has acted as counsel in connection with the development of one of the world’s first 100% electrically powered ferries.
WSCO is one of the preferred law firms among small, medium-sized and large contractors, suppliers and service firms in the geothermal energy and other renewable energy sectors.
WSCO has built very extensive expertise in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for energy firms, infrastructure owners, suppliers and contractors.
We are well versed in all types of agreements and are used to working under English, US and Scandinavian law. Illustrative examples of our experience are listed below.
- All contract types pursuant to the LOGIC, FIDIC, NEC, AIPN suites and similar types of global model contracts
- Contracts for general service work, framework agreements and purchase orders, general terms and conditions for the supply of goods and services.
- Joint operating agreements and ancillary agreements.
- Design and construction of offshore wind substations and related facilities
- Contracts for installation of cables og subsea installations, including defects corrections
- Confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and joint study and bidding agreements for specific acreages
- Farm-in and farm out agreements
- Contracts for offshore pipeline and cable construction contracts, and contracts for the laying of offshore pipelines and cables
- Contracts for engineering, procurement, installation and commissioning of offshore facilities
- Contract package regarding the sale of international offshore assets
- Lifting and sales agreements
- Mergers and acquisitions contract work, including confidentiality agreements, sale and purchase agreements, and related contractual documents
- Data sharing and data exchange agreements
- Maritime and offshore oil and gas service contracts, such as standby and supply vessel contracts, barge contracts for offshore transport and tow-out, seismic contracts, diving contracts
Carbon Capture and Storage (CSS), Oil and Natural Gas
WSCO is one of the leading law firms in Denmark dealing with carbon capture and storage (CCS) and the exploration and production of oil and gas in the North Sea.
Since 2010 the firm has assisted both operators and licence holders in the oil and gas industry. The work includes:
- Negotiation and drafting of contracts for carbon capture, transportation, storage and use (CCS / CCSU)
- Innovation agreements
- Negotiation and drafting of cooperation agreements, including joint operating agreements (JOA’s), AMI’s, tie-in agreements, unitization etc.
- Acquisition and divestment of licence shares.
- Health, safety and environment.
- IPR, IT and technology.
- Risk management and insurance in the oil and gas sector.
- Tendering and procurement.
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
- Our work includes both fixed installations, pipelines, cables, including export cables, other infrastructure and onshore facilities as well as special purpose vessels.
In addition to providing services to oil CCS and oil and gas companies, WSCO is one of the preferred Danish law firms among by small, medium-sized and large contractors, suppliers and service firms in the CCS and oil and gas sector.
The firm’s attorneys are also in demand for speaking engagements and as workshop facilitators in oil gas law e.g. for Oil Gas Denmark, Esbjerg Business Development and other trade organizations.
WSCO advises clients in legislative matters in the upstream oil and gas, electricity, energy infrastructure, renewable energy and related offshore industries.
Due to our extensive knowledge of the rules and regulations governing these types of activities in Denmark and around the North Sea, we can advise both Danish and international clients on the right course of action, prioritization and strategy.
- Preparing applications for operating permits, licences and dispensations.
- Drafting general correspondence with authorities.
- Assisting companies in responding to consultations regarding new legislation on offshore energy.
- Representing clients in discussions with government and municipal authorities, as well as agencies and licence-granting bodies.
Over the years we have worked with a number of Danish and European regulatory bodies, such as the Danish Energy Agency, the European Commission, the Danish Environmental Protection Agency, the Danish Maritime Agency, the Danish Working Environment Authority, and similar government bodies.
Moreover we are often able to facilitate contact with relevant authorities, industry associations and industry stakeholders where this is deemed relevant.
Health, safety and environment
Health, safety and environment (HSE) issues are a critical component of all offshore energy operations.
WSCO has extensive experience in the regulations, standards and best practices governing HSE. During our work we regularly identify a host of HSE issues for our clients and provide guidance as how to best implement practical HSE measures.
Our specific work experience includes:
- Advising on implementing procedures for adherence to HSE regulations applicable to operations on the Danish continental shelf.
- Working with marine warranty surveyors and insurers to minimize HSE concerns in connection with offshore installations works.
- Reviewing HSE chapters in tender material issued as part of a procurement procedure and HSE statements in tenders.
- Advising EU authorities on HSE and working hour issues pertinent to the offshore industry.